Monday 14 April 2014

Bitwig scripting - two weeks in

Since my last post, I thought I'd reach out and see if there were any scripting-focused Bitwig communities. I have kept an eye on the KVR forum but came across bitwigbeats.com and started talking with a few people there.

The site admin is gathering a team and looks to have plans for Push controller support, and there's plenty of people offering to test out any progress made. Being the flagship Live controller, a solid BWS mapping could bring some of the Live users over for a peek.

I also spoke with the dev from the Keith McMillen Instruments team who has started the sizable task of implementing scripts for their suite of hardware controllers. Interestingly, he was working with the Quneo initially too, and it sounds like he's made some good progress.

Possibly my downfall has been setting up an IRC channel (#bitwig-dev on freenode.net) where I've spent as much time chatting as talking code. A couple regulars have started to gather, and we've had a few visitors we've been able to get up and running too.

The time hasn't been a waste though, I've made progress on a control abstraction which will hopefully make it easier to adapt scripts for various hardware controllers. As with a few of the included scripts, I've also created a page system and am aiming to initially work on clip navigation and a mapping for the Drum Machine.

So at this stage, I'm probably going to focus on the scripting side of things. Expect an article over easter with (hopefully) my first useful script and some info on how it all works.

Until then, as always, pipe in with suggestions or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment